Monday, April 16, 2012

Yum-mo! Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Like any other red-blooded and x-chromosomed American, I like sweets. Love 'em, in fact.

But I also like a little tart. Key lime pie? Bring it on, and don't be shy with the citrus. Lemon squares? You betcha. I like my desserts with a little pucker.

Which is why I love me some spring, and the season-appropriate strawberry rhubarb pie.

The trick, of course, is to make sure that the sugar and the strawberries are sweet enough but not so sweet that they overpower the punch of the rhubarb. The other trick is to make sure that they rhubarb is cooked properly--it shouldn't be just mush, but it can't be too crunchy either.

Life is a balance, and so is strawberry rhubarb pie.

The hub saw rhubarb for sale at the grocer's this week, and he bought the place out (Seriously. My whole freezer is full right now, and we already made three pies!) We used a recipe from the iconic Farm Journal's Country Cookbook--which I snagged from my Mammy's recipe cabinet when she died. The pies turned out awesome--we'll be serving them at the inn later this week, and we'll be sure to let you know what the guests think.


Want to make your own? Here's how:

Strawberry/Rhubarb Pie

Pastry for 2-crust pie
1 1/4 c. sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
1/3 c. flour
2 c. fresh strawberries
2 c. fresh rhubarb (cut into 1" pieces)
2 Tblsp butter
1 Tblsp sugar

Combine 1 1/4 c. sugar, salt, and flour.

Arrange half of strawberries and rhubard in pastry-lined 9" pie plate. Sprinkle with half of sugar mixture.

Repeat with remaining fruit and sugar mixture; dot with butter.

Add top crust and flute edges. Brush crust with cold water and sprinkle on 1 T sugar. Cut vents.

Bake in oven at 425 for 40 to 50 minutes. Rhubarb will be tender and crust is browned.

The Farm Journal cookbook suggests serving it with sour cream spread on top--but I'm not so sure about that. I recommend a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream--remember, you want some sweet with that tart!!

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment